The use of video as a marketing tool has been the subject of some controversy in recent years. This was largely due to the mistakes made by Facebook in determining the effectiveness of video, and led to a number of brands dismissing content writers and making the ‘pivot to video’.
While the numbers from Facebook may have been inflated, the fact remains that the stats still show that video content is hugely popular among audiences of all demographics.
Shopify and Bigcommerce stores need to be using video content, and that leads to the question of how.
If you’re not yet using video content on your e-commerce platform, then here’s everything our Shopify experts what you to know.
Consumers Love It
When it comes to content, consumers simply love video.
While emails and images rank high in the list of likes that consumers expressed a preference for, video is way ahead, with an astonishing 54% saying that it is their content of choice. That means that it’s vitally important that you have some form of video content on your Shopify e-commerce store, your social media, and your blog posts.
Whether it’s to complement written content or as a sole source of value will depend on your own consumer analytics. But the fact remains that the popularity of video is a consistently strong performer when it comes to customer engagement, value provision, and as a tool to boost brand loyalty.
Remember to ask the advice of a reputable Shopify developer if you are ever unsure of how to utilize video.
Conversions and Engagement
The goal of any marketing strategy is to make more sales and boost awareness of your brand. Video is currently one of the most efficient ways to get that double impact.
An analysis survey by EyeWideDigital suggests that by having branded video content on your landing pages, you can increase your conversion rates by as much as 80%. This is largely due to two main factors:
- Duration of site visit: The longer that a consumer remains on your Bigcommerce website, the more likely that they will respond to your brand message. Video content can keep even idle browsers on a set page for longer, and that gives you plenty of time to entice then with further content and internal links.
- Trust: If you include yourself and your team in your video content, then your customers will find it far easier to develop the necessary trust that is a vital component of conversion rates. Building trust has long been an important factor in brand marketing, and video can only enhance that.
When it comes to making a buying choice, customers will watch video content in order to make a more informed decision.
For that reason alone it’s worth including video on your landing pages and product pages regarding your Shopify e-commerce store. Our team of Shopify experts can offer advice on how to utilize video.
Versatility of Brand message
One of the best things about using video as a marketing and conversion tool is that you can be as varied as you like across every page of your Shopify e-commerce website.
Video is a hugely versatile form of content, and as a result, it can be used in a wide variety of ways. Tailoring the style and intent of your video to the page that it will be on can go a long way to keeping visitors on your pages longer, and can help to reinforce your brand message.
“Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but the stories that you tell.”
– Seth Godin, Author ‘This is Marketing’
From entertaining social videos that show the personality of your brand to more professional product descriptions, the sheer range of video types to choose from is vast. As your site visitors progress along the customer journey of your Shopify e-commerce store, you can tailor your video to reflect on and reinforce your sales message.
One of the reasons why smaller brands neglect to use video is because they believe that the cost is prohibitive. Of course, if you start trying to make Hollywood-sized blockbuster content, then the costs are certainly going to rise.
However, it’s not required, and most video content for a Bigcommerce or Shopify e-commerce store can be shot using a good quality smartphone.
Proliferation is not expensive, with YouTube being free to upload to, and even premium Vimeo starts at just a few dollars a month. If you have access to a professional camera, then all the better. However, the key to more professional-looking video is the following:
- Use a Tripod – Unsteady video looks amateur, and cheap yet effective tripods are easily available.
- Prioritize sound – If your video looks amazing but consumers can’t hear what’s being said, then they will bounce to another site.
- Use music – For a more emotional response, it’s hard to beat music. There are free soundtracks available from a multitude of sources, and the right royalty-free music could elevate your video to a more professional standard.
- Lighting – You don’t need a huge lighting rig set-up. All you have to do is ensure that there’s plenty of natural light and awareness of shadows and glare.
- Background – Don’t make the mistake of just using a white background. It’s the easiest way to be bland and non-effective. Instead, use the natural world as your background, or something related to your brand or product.
Video marketing is showing no signs of slowing down. Therefore, including video for your Shopify or BigCommerce website can be essential. Our team of Shopify experts here at Blackbelt Commerce can offer guidance on how to use video marketing. Be sure to speak to a Shopify developer and hire a Shopify expert so that your e-commerce store can utilize video.
** As always thank you for visiting our company. We invite you to read our other great articles such as ¿Dónde encuentras clientes para tu tienda Shopify? Y How To Use Content Marketing To Boost Shopify Traffic. Learn more about what we can do for you.
¿Cuáles son las principales tiendas de Shopify?
Toma lo que aprendimos y utilíla para tu ventaja.
Obtenga nuestra investigación exclusiva: Insights de más de 500 tiendas Shopify.